Just Keep Trimming: How To Find The Right Grooming Scissors For You
Finding the right dog grooming scissors for you can be tricky. With so many options, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. But don’t worry! We’ve got your back with this guide to choosing dog grooming scissors that will make you a cut above the rest.
First Things First
Choosing the right scissors for you is a very personal choice. Here are some things to bear in mind:
- Scissors are an important part of your equipment, with prices varying from extremely low to top of the range - ranging between £400-£500 a pair.
- There is a wide range of different quality scissors on the market but of course, this will vary according to your budget and use.
- It's important to note that not only is pricing a thing to think about, but scissors are not a one size fits all tool. There are beginners, everyday groomers, show groomers, pet owners, competition owners, specialist styling, and many more types.
- Choose your scissor according to metal quality, cutting performance, and feel as well as price. When you are starting out, always remember to choose wisely and not necessarily the cheapest- consider them an investment piece.
Now we have covered scissors as a whole, let's look at our very own scissors at WOW Grooming.
What Are My Options With WOW?
When choosing some scissors from us, here are some things we want you to think about:
- Comfort – Ensure that the fit and weight of the scissor are comfortable. Again, this is personal, not which one your colleague has chosen that you like the look and sound of.
- Quality – Selecting the best quality scissor you can afford is your investment for your trade. We have different quality ranges so choose carefully.
- Selecting The Right Scissor For Your Level - It’s important to take into consideration your skill level and what you will be using the scissors for. There is no point purchasing competition-level scissors if you are getting equipment to start your college course.
- Handles- we have two types: Symmetric Handles – the handles are side by side allowing you to use both sides of the scissor offering more freedom during grooming. These handles are only available on our curved scissors. Offset Handles - these are more natural to hold so this limits strain on the wrist and can be purchased right or left-handed.
Our New Range Of Scissors Has Something For Everyone!
- Essential Scissors - these are perfect for our students, novices, everyday grooming and the start-up groomer.
- De luxe Scissors - these scissors are a great work-horse, ideal for everyday professional grooming and on to the next level.
- Cutting Edge Scissors - this range is at a higher level for professionals who love working on their scissoring.
Okay, So What Scissor Does What?
There are 4 types of scissors we stock. Each of them are masters of their own craft- so let's deep dive into them!
- Straight scissors are the most commonly used. They are your go-to multi-task scissors for body grooming, straight lines, and finishing work.
- Curved scissors are used far more on wooly fluffier breeds as they follow the body and work perfectly to enhance angulation for legs, tails, and faces.
- Chunkers consist of a solid blade and a toothed blade The teeth are wide and usually T-shaped. These are fantastic scissors to help finish your groom. Chunkers give a softer and more natural finish and can be used all over the dog. A shorter chunker most will find easier to work with and will neaten out and enable you to smooth scissor marks, clipper lines, and the odd mistake that we all make. The size of the ‘V’ notch at the top of each of the teeth determine how much hair will be trapped so the bigger the notch, the more hair that’s trapped and cut, and the easier the groom will be.
- Blenders/Thinners have teeth on one side and a blade on the other. Used to smooth clipper and scissor lines. The more teeth, the smoother blend. If used over a comb you can create a gorgeous finish with a consistent length while still maintaining texture. The majority of groomers think of Blenders which have one blade with teeth as Thinners but the type we sell are truly Blenders.
- Fluffers are in between Blenders and Chunkers. With teeth on one blade that are wider than those on Blenders, but narrower than those on Chunkers; equally spaced along the blade, resembling a “piano-tooth” . Fluffers can be flipped so the tooth blade can be used either way, top or bottom. Perfect for moving quickly over body areas since the blades can remove much hair with a single cut. Ideal for soft coats, to give a natural finished look.
So, now it's time for you to pick your scissor! Once you have chosen your new WOW Scissor or AKKO Scissors, REMEMBER to look after your scissors to get the best out of them. This includes remembering to oil and sharpen them when necessary.